So my existence is perennially an ephemeral one, as per the many hundreds of kind folk who turn up to offer sage advice on how to have a good career, when to get married, when to have babies and other such so-not-personal topics (who are we kidding, right?)
So here’s a list of some of those wonderful questions (rhetorical and otherwise) that these enlightened beings pepper my life with out of the generosity of their dear, darling hearts:
- What do you really do for a living?
- So … (awkward silence) … you work at the printer’s?
- Ah! So you check spellings and grammar for a living?
- When will you get a real job? I mean, you know, like real real.
- How much do you earn in a month (straight face, no embarrassment)?
- There is this boy, XYZ’s cousin’s brother-in-law’s uncle’s daughter’s third cousin from the maternal side who lives in ABC city. Shall we speak with them about you?
- (To my parents) Almost 30 now and not married! Is there a problem, if you don’t mind my asking? She seems reasonably suitable. Looks are okay too. Then what’s wrong?
- Why don’t you give Civils? How long do you plan to do this spellchecking work? (Ummmm.)
- What about teaching? Surely, you can become a teacher (Yes, I can. But I DON’T WANT TO. How hard is it to understand that???)
- So, what exactly do you do again?
Thank you, kind people who spare all the spare time in their lives to worry so much about mine. Where would I be without you? Really now *rolls eyes*.